Reviews, Top Tens, and more! Posts every Monday and Friday at 8:00 AM PST. Follow me on my social medias for updates and other random nonsense.

Friday, December 18, 2015

Anime Hajime Review: Double J

***Warning, the following may contain spoilers for Double J. Reader discretion is advised.***

Series Synopsis


Hajime Usami (voiced by Ayuru Ohashi) and Sayo Arima (voiced by Emiri Kato) have stumbled across the Cultural Activity Preservation Club. Here students continue the arts of ancient Japanese handicrafts.

Hajime and Sayo don’t know any traditional disciplines. Nor do they put forward much effort to join the club at all. Yet they decide to stick around anyway. After some time, Hajime finds some interest in mastering a classic art form.

Other members include Club President Ichiro Toba (voiced by Nobuyuki Hiyama). He claims to be a descendant of Toba Sojo, the person credited with creating the first manga. Determined to live up to that legacy, Ichiro’s attempts to modernize his ancestor's works.

Aya Chosokabae (voiced by Kanami Satou) is the Preservation Club’s Vice President. She writes the fortunes one can get at any shrine or temple in Japan. The current economic and social climate determines what she writes.

Maria Sassa (voiced by Chiaki Omigawa) is from a long line of wood carvers. Her family specializes in toothpicks. Not the pointy bit mind you. But rather they carve the grooves on the other end.

There are others and I could keep going. But this synopsis has already become more straightforward than the actual show.

Series Positives


I wanted to try something with Double J. After realizing this would be a short form series, I decided to record my reactions while watching it. After a grand total of forty-five minutes, the footage showed that I often had a big, stupid grin on my face.

I can’t say I didn't have fun with this one. There was enjoyment in this show. Will everybody think the same? I can't imagine that being the case. If anything, I was the exception.

The Animation

Saying Double J had animation is misleading. The only movement came from character's mouths when they talked. Also, people would blink from time to time.

For the most part, everyone had a single expression throughout this series. Forgoing a few alterations here and there, everyone maintained a rather deadpan look.

In Joshiraku, one of the main jokes was why a comic strip based on dialogue should get turned into an anime. Double J’s take on that idea was not to exaggerate this notion but embrace it. I loved what this show was able to do with so little. This series conveyed energy through clever positioning and camera work.

That and the voice actors had to give everything they had. It wasn't as if this animation was going to help them any.

If I'm being honest, Double J was over so fast, it’s difficult to pinpoint what it did right or wrong.

That said, this show’s style was without a doubt a highlight on its own.
 

Series Negatives


I said my recording showed me with a smile on my face. That doesn't mean it stayed there.

Though I enjoyed this series, I'm not sure why.

It could be that this was actually a product of quality. But I think my fun stemmed from disbelief.

Reviewing what I had captured of myself, there was another reoccurring expression, bewilderment. Also, there were no fits of laughter either.

Granted, I didn’t need a video to tell me that because it was always at the forefront of my mind.

Hit or Miss

Could Double J have worked as a full series anime? Not in the slightest. But if anything could have benefited from this doing that, it would have been the pacing.

This show relied on fast talking and speed. This was odd since there was very little movement. Nevertheless, Double J was quick and there were many jokes that were easy to miss.

Still many shows, including this one, have proven that this style of comedy can be funny.

Unfortunately, Double J wasn't consistent enough for this to fully work. Things were only happening just for the sake of them happening.

Liking or hating this show hinges on you finding this kind of humor funny.


Final Thoughts


Based on the length of the series alone, it is easy to say give it a shot. If you watch and like it, good for you. But if you don't, then you won't even be wasting an hour of your time.

But though I had fun with Double J, I can’t give it a thumb up.

The animation had charm. There were funny bits. But in the end, there wasn't much going for this series. Let me put it this way, if it wasn’t for the credits’ theme, there would be nothing memorable about Double J.

But these are just my thoughts. What are yours? Have you seen this show? How would you advise Double J? Leave a comment down below because I would love to hear what you have to say.

And if you liked what you read, be sure to follow me on my social media sites so that you never miss a post or update. Also, please share this review across the internet to help add to the discussion.

I’m LofZOdyssey, and I’ll see you next time.

               Google+                        Facebook                          Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment